Saturday, March 1, 2014

Theatre

I had heard about the Spoleto Festival, of course.  And I knew this was not the right time for it.  So I was not expecting much theater in Charleston at this time of year, if any.  But I did notice a number of theaters in my wanderings and started to wonder.  One or two, especially with colleges in the city, didn't surprise me, but, with the help of the internet I found myself browsing through quite a number.

Then one day I noticed a sign for a production of The Great Divorce at what turned out to be a theater of the College of Charleston.  Not a student production.  A professional equity production.  A quick look confirmed that this was indeed an adaptation of the C. S. Lewis book.  Well, now I was really intrigued.  Not only do I love that book, but I was having trouble imagining how you could possibly get it on the stage.  So … I bought a ticket.

I was a little concerned.  When I went on line to buy the ticket, I was offered amazingly good tickets.  Basically very close and dead center.  I began to wonder if I would be the only one or almost the only one there.  No so.  I wouldn't say it was sold out but it was a good house.

The production was darn good.  Good acting.  Imaginative staging.  It's hard to watch a play based on a book that you love and have read multiple times.  You've got it in your head.  You and the author have created your own work, your own world.  So how can anyone do it correctly?  By catching you up in their imagination and their work till you get that wonderful moment called suspension of disbelief.  Apart from a few sound issues, it was very good.

Now we need a brief flashback.  A couple of years ago when I was trying to figure out what I would do if/when I sold the farm, Kit asked me what I really wanted in the place I live.  I really thought about it.  I thought about weather.  I thought about bookstores and knitting shops.  I thought about being able to walk to things.  Then I went to a great production of Waiting for Godot.  Truly great actors but I absolutely hate this play.  It is the epitome of a plot where nothing happens.  And I keep wanting to pick the characters up and shake them.  I know, I know, that's the point.  But then there was a conversation with the actors.  I can't really figure out how to describe that conversation.  It was a conversation with the actors but, more importantly, among the actors.  I will probably never like that play but when we left the theater, I said to my friends, "I know where I want to live.  I want to live where conversations like this go on."

So, when Great Divorce was over and had been suitably applauded, I was surprised to hear that there would be a conversation about the play for anyone who cared to stay.  Hmmmm.  Maybe not exactly a sign from Heaven, but enough to get me checking on those other theaters.  This visit may now turn into more of a theatre sampler than an old house tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment