Monday, April 15, 2013

Desert in Bloom

When I set out on this road trip I wanted to see the desert in bloom.  That expression dates back to my botany courses at the University of Michigan.  I just wasn't sure when that phenomenon happened.  So I contacted a friend who lives in Arizona and asked if it would work out if I visited in April.  Would that work, especially if I might not get there until the latter half of the month?  Her response:  If you come in April, you won't be able to miss it.

Still worried, I set out with "desert in bloom" in mind.  Today I drove through parts of New Mexico and into Arizona.  Well, Sarah was right.  As I headed into Arizona, I began to see color off to the sides of the road.  Yellow, white, some red.  Even the cacti were in bloom.  I can't wait to get out and about and start identifying some of these blooms and trees.  I have a feeling it's only going to get more gorgeous.

Thank you, Sarah.  And thank you to Dr. Cover, my old botany teacher.  Yes, that really is her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment